Why the Healing Spaces Program for your young women? Why is School-Based Mental Health Service Important?
- Further, students are more likely to seek counseling when services are available in schools (Slade, 2002).
- Students do not learn at their optimum when experiencing mental illness or when overwhelmed by life’s stressors.
- “20% of youth experience mental health problems in any given year, and approximately 75‐80% of youth in need of treatment and support services do not receive adequate care.”-Surgeon General’s Report
- “Failure to address the mental health needs of students has serious consequences both now and in the future: increased risk for school failure, social isolation, violence, substance abuse, unsafe sexual behavior, incarceration, unemployment and poor health.”
Healing Spaces Program is designed to:
- Improve academic performance by providing social-emotional support
- Create a positive school climate for students
- Help students learn at their optimum by addressing their mental health
- Provide a space for students to be open about their issues to create solutions